This dessert is made rich and creamy with tofu. Before you run away screaming, you need to give this recipe a try. We served it to some unsuspecting children and all went back for seconds. They were surprised to learn that the main ingredient was tofu. When making this recipe be sure that you purchase Non-GMO tofu. To learn about the dangers of GMO’s, you can watch this quick video here. Also, be sure to purchase silken tofu. Tofu comes in different varieties ranging from silken to extra firm. Anything other than silken tofu will not produce the same result.
- Good source of protein
- Good source of healthy fats
- Good source of folate
- Good source of Vitamin E, magnesium and zinc
- Good source of fiber
Ingredients: (makes 1 pie)
For the pie crust
- ¾ cup raw walnuts
- 1 cup oat flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 Tbs. pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup rolled oats
For the chocolate filling
- 1 block silken tofu (Non-GMO), drained
- 2 cups Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Make the pie crust- Preheat oven to 350 and grease pie pan.
- Pulse walnuts in food processor until there are no large chunks.
- Add oat flour, salt, oil and maple syrup and pulse to combine.
- Add rolled oats and pulse until oats are roughly chopped.
- Place into pie pan and gently press with fingers to spread. (do not push too hard or it can make it stick to the pan).
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until edges are slightly darkened.
- Make the filling- Melt chocolate chips over the stove using a double boiler.
- Add drained tofu and melted chips and vanilla into blender and blend until smooth
- Pour mixture into pie pan.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set.
- If you do not have a double boiler, simply take a pot of simmering water and put a metal or glass bowl over the top of the pot. Be sure the bowl fits tightly over the pot. You don’t want the steam to escape from the pot underneath. Put your chocolate chips in the bowl and use the steam from the pot underneath to melt the chocolate. This method ensures you don’t burn your chocolate.
- To make oat flour simply put old fashioned oats in a blender until finely ground into a flour.