Today’s recipe is very customizable and easy to put together. If you haven’t tried a grain bowl it is simply a salad that has grains such as brown rice, millet or quinoa in it. The grains help give the salad some carbohydrates and fiber to give you energy while also adding s boost of nutrition. This salad can be made with tofu, chicken or steak to give your meal protein to keep you feeling full for longer.
- Great source of protein
- Full of fiber
- Rich in folic acid
- ⅓ cup cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup chickpeas (or favorite bean)
- Marinated protein- one serving size (tofu, chicken, steak; recipe to follow below)
- 2 cups greens
- ½ Cucumber, chopped
- ⅓ cup cherry tomatoes
Marinade Ingredients: (Enough for 14 oz. tofu, chicken or steak)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS liquid aminos
- 2 tsp. Minced garlic
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- Add to protein of choice (For tips on how to use with tofu, see tips at the end of the post)
- Marinade in refrigerator for 3 hours-overnight
- Cook protein on grill or in oven
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Agave
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Salt
- 1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- Whisk all ingredients until well combined.
- Fill bowl with 2 cups salad greens.
- Top with beans, grains, cucumbers, tomatoes and protein
- Pour 2-3 TBS salad dressing over bowl and enjoy.
*The Marinade will make enough for 14 oz. of protein. Although you don’t use all the protein for the salad, we recommend cooking it all to have some prepped for the week. This makes it easier to grab and assemble another salad later in the week.
Cooking with Tofu:
- Use Extra Firm tofu for best texture
- Prepare tofu before marinating. First drain tofu in colander for 15 minutes. Next “press” tofu by wrapping in paper towels and placing on a flat firm surface such as a cutting board. Place another cutting board on top of the wrapped tofu and put something heavy on top such as a cast iron pan or large book. Leave for 15- 20 minutes. This will help get excess water out and give a better texture to the tofu. After tofu is pressed, cut into desired sized cubes and marinate. (longer is better)
- Cook tofu in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
No oil dressing Option:
- ⅓ cup dijon mustard
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp. Agave
- 1 tsp. Pepper
- 2Tb water
(whisk until combined)