This soup comes together quickly and is easy to prepare. Black beans offer so many health benefits such as being full of fiber, calcium,, magnesium, copper,, zinc, manganese and phosphorus. These properties are excellent for maintaining bone health. Black beans are also a good source of potassium, folate and vitamin B6 to help maintain a healthy heart. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
- Heart healthy
- Supports bone health
- Low in cholesterol
- Great source of fiber and protein
Ingredients: (yields 8 cups)
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, organic and all visible fat removed.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- ¼ large red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups black beans
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ½ lemon, juiced
- Poach your chicken: Place chicken in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way. Drain water and set chicken aside.
- Place onion, garlic, celery, bell pepper and broth in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. (veggies will be soft)
- Add 1 cup of beans, salt and cumin and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add soup to a large blender and puree.
- Return pureed soup to pot and add remaining beans
- Shred chicken with a fork and add to soup.
- Add lemon juice and stir until combined, add chopped cilantro if desired.
*Serving size for diabetes or weight loss program is 1 cup. Eat with a large green salad for a complete meal.