When you want something different than eggs for breakfast, this is a great option. Full of protein and healthy carbohydrates, this will fuel your morning. Make sure you use extra firm tofu as this has less water and will produce a better result. We also recommend “pressing” your tofu before hand. (see directions below) We hope you enjoy!
*This recipe can be used while on the diabetes or weight loss program.
- Great source of protein
- Full of vitamin A, K and C
- Great source of fiber
- Full of antioxidants
Ingredients: (Makes 4 servings)
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu (organic and non-GMO)
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. Chili powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1-2 tsp. water
- 4 cups kale, removed from stem and chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- Press your tofu: Unwrap your tofu and drain the water. Take your block of tofu and wrap in 4 paper towels or a clean kitchen towel. Place on a plate. Put something flat and heavy on top such as a book or heavy pot. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. This will help remove excess water and prevent your tofu from turning mushy.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. When warm add 1 tsp. water and your onion. Saute in the water and cook until soft. You may need to add additional water to prevent the food from sticking.
- Add kale and more water (1 tsp. at a time) and cook until kale is wilted.
- Remove veggies from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add your seasonings and 1-2 tsp. water to create a sauce that will go over the tofu.
- Using a potato masher or your hands, crumble the pressed tofu to desired size and add to pan. Add the sauce you made in step 5. Cook until heated through, 1-2 minutes.
- Return veggies to pan with the tofu and combine.
- Serving size while on the diabetes or weight loss program is ¼ of the recipe
- This is very good topped with fresh salsa. Try topping with 1 Tbs.
- If you are not on the weight loss or diabetes programs you can also add chopped cooked sweet potatoes, avocado or put in a wrap for a breakfast burrito.
Recipe adapted from The Minimalist Baker.