This salad is fresh and citrusy while the chicken is flavorful and savory. This takes a bit of preparation to make sure you give the chicken enough time to marinate, but the results are wonderful. This chicken would also be great over a green salad. Enjoy!
*This recipe can be used while on the diabetes or weight loss programs
- Great source of protein
- Great source of fiber
- Excellent source of vitamins E and C
- Rich in antioxidants
For chicken: (Makes 4 servings)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz. (1 lb) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 4 tbsp. Chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika (how much did you use?)
- ½ tsp. Onion powder
For the salad: (makes 4 servings)
1 can low sodium black beans, drained
½ cup red onion, finely chopped
1 medium roma tomato, chopped
3 Tbs. cilantro, chopped
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
salt, to taste
black pepper to taste
Directions for the chicken:
- Prepare the marinade:Mix together the garlic, chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, onion powder and smoked paprika.
- Prepare the chicken: Pound the chicken so it is the same height all around (this will help it to cook evenly) Next, poke the chicken 2-3 times per side with a fork.
- Pour marinade over the chicken and mix so that all the chicken has some marinade.
- Marinade for 1 hour, flipping halfway through to ensure an even marinade.
- Spray a grill pan or grill with a bit of non stick coconut oil spray. Heat to medium-medium high.
- Cook until done or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees fahrenheit. (about 5-6 minutes per side)
- Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting
For the salad:
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Chill until ready to eat.
*Serving size is 4 oz. of chicken and ¼ of the salad.
Tip: This is a great make-ahead lunch to have on hand during the week