Nothing tastes better than a bowl of homemade chicken soup and if you haven’t made the attempt yourself, this recipe is definitely the one to try. With the protein you need, the chicken and broth help create a comforting feel and add to the nutritional advantage this recipe contains. As does the included pico de gallo, which is an excellent source of iron and vitamins C and E. All together, this soup produces a powerhouse of health benefits that you just don’t want to miss out on.
*This recipe can be used while on the diabetes or weight loss programs
- Great source of protein
- Supports heart health
- Good source of iron
- Soothing qualities
- 3-4 oz skinless Chicken Breast (remove any visible fat)
- 2 ½ Cups low sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- ¼ tsp. ground Cumin
- 1 Cup Pico de Gallo*
*Pico de Gallo recipe can be found on http://bit.ly/1dhT4sI
- In a small saucepan, place ¼ C of broth to boil. Add the chicken breast, turning it as often as needed to make it golden brown.
- After it browns add another ¼ C of broth, garlic and cumin. Cook for 5 min, then add the remaining broth and ½ C pico de gallo.
- Cover pot and simmer on low for 15-20 min or until chicken is done.
- Take chicken out, shred it and add it back to the soup. Add the remaining ½ C pico de gallo. Adjust flavor to taste. Enjoy with Melba crackers if desired.