Traditional shepherd’s pie is made with mashed potatoes, so we’ve lightened this recipe with the use of cauliflower instead. We also swapped the ground beef for lean ground turkey and made sure to include lot of vegetables. We hope you enjoy this twist on a traditional favorite.
This recipe can be used while on the diabetes or weight loss programs. Make it a complete meal by enjoying with 1 serving of permitted crackers and a large green salad, if desired.
- Great source of protein
- Excellent source of vitamins
- Good source of fiber
- Good source of Vitamin C and K
Ingredients: (6 servings)
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
¼ tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper
1 lb. ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tsp. Tomato paste
½ tsp. Balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. Salt (or to taste)
¼ tsp. Pepper
½ tsp. Oregano
¼ tsp. Smoked paprika
½ tsp. Garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make cauliflower rice- Using a food processor, pulse the cauliflower in batches until they resemble grains of rice. (Alternately, you can use a box grater with medium holes- this will just take longer to do) Heat a large pan with a little coconut oil spray. When hot, add half the cauliflower to the pan and season with ⅛ tsp garlic powder and ⅛ tsp. Salt. Cook for about 5-10 minutes. Set aside. Repeat with remaining cauliflower.
- Prepare the turkey: Cook over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large pot saute onion, mushrooms and celery in a little coconut oil spray for 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Transfer 1 ½ cups of vegetables with broth to a blender and process until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Stir in turkey, peas, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, oregano, garlic powder, smoked paprika, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp. Pepper.
- Transfer mixture to a 9x 13 pan. Top with cauliflower rice. Bake for 25 minutes or until cauliflower rice is golden brown.