This dinner recipe is filling and full of vegetables. Although the sauce is creamy, there is no dairy in this recipe, but is made primarily from cauliflower. If you’ve never had spaghetti squash, this is a great first recipe to try. Spaghetti squash has a slightly sweet flavor and is full of vitamins and fiber. On top of having cauliflower and spaghetti squash, this recipe also has spinach. Enjoy!
- Full of manganese and potassium
- Antioxidant rich
- High in fiber
- Good source of protein
Ingredients: (makes 5 servings)
1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
¼ cup raw, unsalted cashews (soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes-overnight)|
1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
⅛ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. minced garlic
½ tsp. garlic powder
1 ½ tsp. salt
⅛ tsp. pepper (or to taste)
2 tsp. dried basil
½ tsp. dried oregano
¼ tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. dried parsley
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups spinach, chopped
8 cups spaghetti squash (2 small/1 medium)
1 lb. chicken breast
Mrs. Dash chicken seasoning (optional, but adds great flavor
- Prepare the spaghetti squash: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut your spaghetti squash lengthwise. To make this easier,place your spaghetti squash in the microwave for 3-5 minutes to soften it a bit.
- Scrape the seeds out using a spoon. Place each half of the squash, cut side down on a baking sheet or pan and cook 40-60 minutes, until tender.
- Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- When cool enough to handle, scrape the “strings” of squash out into a large bowl.
- Prepare the sauce: Place the cauliflower in a pot and cover with the chicken broth. If the broth does not quite cover the cauliflower, add a bit of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover for 18 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the cauliflower from the pot to a high speed blender. Add the cashews (drained), cashew milk, nutritional yeast, minced garlic and 1 cup of the liquid used to cook the cauliflower. Blend until very smooth.
- Add the salt, pepper, basil, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and parsley. Blend to combine.
- Add the sauce to the bowl with the spaghetti squash.
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken breast with salt, pepper and Mrs. Dash chicken seasoning. If this is not available to you, season with garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
- Lightly spray a grill pan with coconut oil spray. Cook chicken until no longer pink. (If you do not have a grill pan, you can cook the chicken in the oven instead)
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, then add to the bowl.
- Prepare the vegetables: Heat a pan over medium heat (spray with a little coconut oil spray) and saute the onion for about 5-7 minutes (until soft), then add the chopped spinach and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until just wilted. Add to the bowl.
- Toss all ingredients until combined. Divide into 5 servings and enjoy!
Tips: Make the squash ahead of time to make this meal come together quickly
You can also add bell peppers or mushrooms to this dish for variety.
Note: This recipe can be used while on the diabetes or weight loss programs. Be sure to stick to 1 serving size ( ⅕ of the recipe)